Just a little recap here – so this was Car #1 in The Halloween Train. I posted the ‘how to’ on July 29, 2018 if you would like to see how it was done.
Now, it’s time for Car #2. We’re talking PURPLE here folks! I love purple.
The steps for drilling the wood and the info for the screws, etc. is explained in Car #1. I’m just going to jump right in from here…
A squirt of Liquitex in a dish with some water to thin it, and my next flatbed is a rich royal purple.
I’ve attached the wheels and, again, I just love how these Pulley Wheels look on a project. They’re just so darn cute!
I wanted to add a shelf or two on this flatbed but I wanted some height between the flatbed itself and the first shelf. I had these Styrofoam balls, already covered in a perfect purple glitter, but I was concerned they wouldn’t glue down as securely as a flat surface might.
So while I pondered that problem, I moved on to paint the first shelf orange and the smaller, upper shelf is going to be more of the same purple.
I’ll be adding some more trims to this car just like I did on Car #1. Again, Tim’s idea-ology will add the perfect touch. I’m going to glue the smaller shelf to the larger using Liquid Nails.
And in the mean time I came up with my stability fix. Washers. Using E6000 I glued each ball onto a washer where the bigger flatter surface will stabilize those round balls. Once the glue set, I then glued the washers/ balls to the flatbed.
Next, I glued the washers to the bottom of the orange shelf and after that set, glued the washers on the shelf to the top of the balls.
Perfect. Just what I had in mind. Can you guess what this is going to be, yet?
With a hot glue gun, I attach Tim’s orange and black twine. The purple and orange color combination is quintessential Halloween to me. Love, love, love it!
Remember the packets of glittery spinners from Car #1’s post? Here’s the purple! Lookin’ good.
Here’s another clue – little glass display domes. These are just a few of the tiny containers I’ll be using, though.
I bet you’ve got it now – a Witch’s Apothecary on wheels. I used some tacky clay to keep the bottles without a flat bottom upright while I fussed with finding just the right place for each bottle.
But as I arranged the bottles I noticed that the shelves looked a bit too plain. Another strip of a purple ribbon flecked with gold was attached with hot glue, and the upper purple shelf was outlined with a purple Stickle. That’s better.
This packet of ephemera has SO MANY goodies packed in it. It also has a good variety of sizes of many of the individual labels, so a person has plenty to choose from so they can pick the right label AND have it in the right size.
This part took quite a while to complete and I had a blast rummaging through my own personal “witch’s apothecary” in order to fill the bottles.
While on my daily walks I’ve found, over the years, lots of wonderful little tidbits nature leaves behind, such as a shed snake skin, weird plant seeds, a nymph shell, teeth, claws and once – a pair of Kestrel feet – just the feet – and nothing else.
I also cut off the feet of some small plastic frogs because almost every recipe calls for ‘toe of frog’. And I used two types of foil flakes, one copper and one silver. See the bottle on the left for Elemental Copper? Yep, that works for witch ingredients. Some rock salt colored with a bit of alcohol ink and just some plain old rice make a convincing show, too.
This is the other side. Just mix it up. Lot’s of different bottle shapes and sizes and fun labels make this a great Witch’s Apothecary. I did seal the corks in with E6000 cause you just know someones going to try a taste of that bat’s blood.
When I had everything where I wanted it – I glued each one down with E6000.
But as I envisioned my Halloween Train rolling into town I realized many folk may not know what that flatbed with all the bottles was about. So I though it needed a sign.
Using Word, I printed a page of four repeats for my sign. Then from my stash of rulers I found one that would help me make a nice curved sign.
I couple of Tim’s inks randomly applied via a dry sponge and then misted with water.
This is the beauty of Distress Ink. When you mist it you get this great Vintage water marked/damaged effect, perfect for an aged sign that’s seen a lot of towns.
I used the ruler and a fine line Sharpie to outline my sign to finish it off. I made two of these signs and will glue them together back to back.
I cut two lengths of 18 gauge wire. Laying the wire on top of the back side of one of the signs, I then ran a thick bead of hot glue along and over the wires to hold them in place on the sign. Once I let the glue cool enough to move safely, I then ran another bead of glue all around the inside edges of the sign and then placed the other sign over the glued first sign, making sure my two signs lined up good.
I drilled four small holes, one in each corner of the top of the flatbed and inserted the wire ends into holes.
And we’re done! I did not glue the wires into the holes. I wanted to be able to remove the sign as I think it will store better if it can be separated from the rest of the piece.
Here’s the other side all finished.
But wow – it seemed like the last part went by in a flash and I was so busy working out the little details I almost missed how the finished wagon would look. This one was really fun. I love the little bottles filled with mysterious (and possibly/probably nasty) stuff. I tucked in a few skulls here and there because frankly, skulls and bones are a Halloween must for me.
And here we are – Car #1 on the left and Car #2 on the right. You can barely see it but the arm bone ‘coupler’ is in place and working fine. This little train can actually roll, too!
I hope you enjoyed the ride. Car #3 is coming right up – so don’t go far.