Oh My Gosh – this thing really looks big now that all the sections are glued together. I always have problems with this part, I know what the final measurements will be but somehow I can never truly translate that in my imagination as to how it will really look when it’s “made”. So, as usual, now that all eight units are together, well, WOW, this thing is big!
I have almost all the drawers glued and painted at this point. I’m very glad I went with two different styles of drawers here, and though the width and depth dimensions are the same for the two different styles of units, the height is less on the 3-drawer units. Still, if I wanted to I could move those long drawers up into any of the other 3-drawer areas, I just liked the way they “anchor” the bottom.
Next step, paper the drawer fronts. You may have noticed on the photo above that the drawers have a half-moon cutout for easy finger pull access to the drawers. All of Kaisercraft drawers are this way and sometimes that’s how I use them in my projects. But more often I turn the cutout to the back as I prefer to use knobs or handles on my work, I just like the look better, it’s so much more decorative. So here I’ve begun to paper the drawers, I chose a digital download of Vintage Japanese papers that had a wide selection of coordinated styles. I printed out my papers on a heavy cardstock that looks like aged parchment in a Natural color. Once I cut the paper to size, I used three different inks in a range of browns to add even more of an aged antique patina. This is what I would call my “signature look” because for me it’s all in the little details. It’s impossible to justify the time spent on them, I wouldn’t be able to add the labor involved to the final price of the piece, but still, I love the finished look that’s achieved and after all, it’s really ourselves that we need to please in our artwork. Having said that, I’m extremely thankful that others appreciate the effort and say so each time a finished piece is purchased, hallelujah.
See the paint cans above? I knew right off that I wanted this piece raised up on legs of some sort. I always put my apothecaries on legs whether it’s just an inch or two up on wood balls or it might be metal wheels (for the Steampunk look) or real lathe turned legs; I always prefer a bit of air between the bottom of a piece and whatever it’s placed on, it just looks better that way. So while the “legs” are in production, two gallon paint cans will do.
I’m here to tell you, that is A LOT OF DRAWERS, they are everywhere in my craft room. This part actually has kept me sane while I get through the worst weeks (two and three) of my recovery from a broken shoulder. There’s not much you can do in a sling but cutting paper and “aging” it with ink has kept my mind occupied and me busy in my favorite place, my craft room. I also added the drawer pulls. I pretty much used up my entire stash of pulls and handles, it certainly would have been cheaper to have left the finger pull cutouts to the front, but there I go again – I like the brass look so I went with the brass look.
And the base makes it’s first appearance. I wish I could say I made it but my husband gets all the credit here. I drew a rough sketch of how I wanted it to look and here’s the result – perfect (thank you, honey).
Four coats of black paint later (really glad I sprang for the gallon now) the base is ready to be attached.
Having it up on my cutting counter where it soared high above my head made me very very nervous indeed. One wrong move with a clunky arm in a sling and I could see tragedy, doom, despair – alright, alright, it set over night and was back on the floor the next morning with no problems – whew.
I would like to apologize for the rather poor photography on this project. Taking good pictures has never been my forte but taking them one-handed proves it can actually get worse. Thanks for bearing with me. Part 5 coming soon….